Wednesday 18 May 2011

The Locket

Sorry this took a couple of hours; I had to search through several boxes of pictures and letters that I hadn’t opened for a while.



When we left Belfast, my dad gave me this locket. I’ve had it with me ever since, always away in a box … I was so angry when he gave me to me—angry at both my parents, really—that I never bothered to wear it or even look at it really. But every time I’ve packed to move somewhere, I’ve taken it with me. I can’t say why, except that when Dad gave it to me he told me to always keep it nearby, that it was good luck.

It occurred to me when I was reading over your tweets today that it might be the significant object I have been carrying with me. I did look at the dolphin, even poked a little hole at the seam to make sure nothing was hidden inside (remember the diamond in the teddybear from The Rescuers?), but nothing is. Anyway, I opened the locket … and I think I was right.



For the first time since all of this started, I feel quite shaken by this experience. Who would know that I had this locket, other than my dad? As for the question of whether to trust @visiblebelfast ... Right now, I don't.

Make what you will of this.

8 comments:

  1. The Ciliaris Arts website says the organization has been around in one form or another for centuries. If that's so, maybe you dad was involved with them when you lived in Belfast and that's how they knew about the locket?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could be right, but as far as I know my dad was straight science ... he wasn't an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The luidia ciliaris is also a starfish. You mentioned a starfish in your dream, and there's your blog's title... of course, I doubt that's any more than a coincidence. Rather, what could that note mean? Is it just directing us to Ciliaris Arts, or is there something else? My guess is that it's the former.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know. I love starfish, I used to collect them on the beach with my dad. He was doing research back then, something to do with invasive species in marine habitats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ana,

    I've been reading through your blog and I followed the mystery as best I could. I somehow have the feeling, that possible the story of your dad and his connection to Belfast may be of significance to solving this mystery. If this isn't too personal or painful for you, maybe you could tell us a little bit about him.

    And please be careful. You seem to have had a few freaky encounters recently and I'm a bit worried about you. Many thanks in advance and all the very best,

    Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be honest, Helen, I don't know nearly as much about my dad as I wish I did.

    He was a scientist, as you know. He studied marine life, and he was driven, so my mom says, by a desire to do good. He was apparently quite an advocate for reforming environmental policy in Canada and Northern Ireland.

    He was quiet and reserved at home, but apparently he was far more vocal at work; he wasn't very diplomatic, something I possibly get from him. I remember mom saying that he occasionally made enemies by being too forthright and forceful with his opinions, in Belfast more so than in other places.

    My mom had plenty of friends here when I was young, and so did I for that matter, and I think the two of us were happy enough. But I remember that Dad never really settled into the way of life somehow, and rarely seemed to connect with people. I think he always missed Holland.

    A few times he took me for hikes in the Mournes, and he'd always tell me the same thing, how streets in Holland are paved with bits of Irish mountains ... almost like being near the mountains somehow connected him to his home, and his past.

    Although rationally I know that I wasn't to blame for anything that happened to my father, on some level I will always feel guilty. I sometimes wonder if we abandoned him here, left him all alone in a place he was unhappy, left him with nothing. I guess I'd like to know why he stayed ... why he didn't go back to Holland, but stayed here and effectively wasted away.

    We needed him, of course. We always did. We were heartbroken as well, over his job, and then the separation. When we found out what happened it was just ... it was bad. Nobody got off easy.

    Anyway. That's quite enough of that.

    Do you know my mom's name is also Helen? Funny coincidence.

    All the best,
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your long answer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're very welcome. Are you on Twitter, Helen?

    ReplyDelete